One of the main German trading post in Iceland during the 15th and 16th centuries. During the 19th century, ships started frequenting the harbour again but it was gradually abandoned, as the Sandgerði harbour was improved.
Bridge between continents
- Very Hard
Remains of the oldest occupation on the peninsula, dated to the 9th century. It is possible that the ruins, a longhouse (skáli) and smaller constructions, constitute an explorer´s outpost, like Nordic buildings in Newfoundland.
A wide, open grassy field at the foot of hyaloclastite ridges. Remains of two small farms illustrate an old way of life in remote highland farms. The younger farm was abandoned after a strong earthquakes in 1905.